Blog carnivals to visit on this first Monday in June:
- The Carnival of Children's Literature, at Here in the Bonny Glen
- Learning in the Great Outdoors, at The Miss Rumphius Effect
I'm still catching up with some of the literary prizes from the spring, including the Best Books for Babies, sponsored by the Beginning with Books Center for Early Literacy, in Pittsburgh. The honored books were
- Fruit, by Sara Anderson
- Vegetables, by Sara Anderson
- Maisy's Amazing Big Book of Words, by Lucy Cousins
- Tip Tip Dig Dig, by Emma Garcia
- Global Babies
- A Good Day, by Kevin Henkes
- Black & White, by Tana Hoban
- Peek-a-Baby, by Karen Katz
- Trucks Roll!, by George Ella Lyon
- Whose Chick Are You? by Nancy Tafuri
- The shortlists for the UK's Carnegie Medal (books for readers aged 10 and older) and the Kate Greenaway Medal (picture books). Winners will be announced on June 26th.
- The Jane Addams Children's Book Awards, for books that "address themes or topics that engage children in thinking about peace, justice, world community, and/or equality of the sexes and all races. The books also must meet conventional standards of literary and artistic excellence."
- The E.B. White Read Aloud Award.
- The Nebula Awards, sponsored by the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America.
- The Edgar Allan Poe Awards, given by the Mystery Writers of America. (PDF file)