The Children's Book Council of Australia announced the winners of its annual awards on August 19th. All 2005 honorees were published in 2004. You can see the runners-up and the short list at the CBCA site. The only name that rings a bell here is Mem Fox, but I would most like to see Alison Lester's Are We There Yet?, the picture book of the year. She also wrote Ernie Dances to the Didgeridoo, which has to be the most irresistible title I've come across lately.
- Mature readers: The Running Man, by Michael Gerard Bauer
- Younger readers: The Silver Donkey, by Sonya Hartnett
- Early childhood: Where Is the Green Sheep? written by Mem Fox and illustrated by Judy Horacek
- Picture Book of the Year: Are We There Yet? A Journey Around Australia, by Alison Lester. (The children's literature blogger Big A little a reviews this book on her site today. All right!)
- Eve Pownall Award for Information Books: To the Moon and Back: The Amazing Australians at the Forefront of Space Travel... by Bryan Sullivan with Jackie French; illustrations by Gus Gordon