I have some second-grade friends who work hard at school. They know so many things, and they like to read! My pals enjoy books like the Magic Tree House series and A to Z Mysteries, and they want to read even more. Isn't that awesome! Here are some more recommendations; I asked two librarians to help me out, too. (Thank you, Ms. K. and Ms. E.)
One book I love
- Mercy Watson to the Rescue, by Kate DiCamillo. Since you guys are reading Magic Tree House, you will find this chapter book easy. It's funny! Mercy Watson is a friendly pig who thinks about food 24/7. You could read it to first-grade and kindergarten friends or little brothers and sisters.
A series I think second-graders might like
- The Magic School Bus Chapter Books. To me, these books look just a bit harder than Magic Tree House, but you can look at them and see for yourselves. All about science, the chapter book series is based on the original picture books by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen.
My library friends recommended the following series:
- Amber Brown, by Paula Danziger
- The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, by Debbie Dadey and Marcia Thornton Jones
- The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Chandler Warner
- Dragon Slayers' Academy, by Kate McMullan. (You could read this author's picture book I Stink!, about a New York City garbage truck, to younger children. Fun!)
- Geronimo Stilton, by Geronimo Stilton
- The Hardy Boys, by Franklin W. Dixon
- Jake Drake, by Andrew Clements
- Polk Street School, by Patricia Reilly Giff
- Puppy Patrol, by Jenny Dale
- The Secrets of Droon, by Tony Abbott
- Triplet Trouble, by Debbie Dadey and Marcia Thornton Jones
Book Sense Best Children's Books, edited by Mark Nicols, also mentions these series: Hank the Cowdog, by Jon Erickson; Jenny Archer, by Ellen Conford; and Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black's Spiderwick Chronicles.
Additional ideas, series or individual books, for this age group (7 to 9 years old) are welcome. (Please see the comments section.)
Hi to Ms. V's class!