The Jane Addams awards for children's books were announced today by the Jane Addams Peace Association. The winners are
- Delivering Justice: W. W. Law and the Fight for Civil Rights, written by Jim Haskins and illustrated by Benny Andrews (for younger children)
- Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX, the Law that Changed the Future of Girls in America, by Karen Blumenthal (for older children)
- Poems to Dream Together=Poemas Para Soñar Juntos, written by Francisco X. Alarcón, illustrated by Paula Barragán (honor book for younger children)
- The Crazy Man, by Pamela Porter
- Sweetgrass Basket, by Marlene Carvell
The awards ceremony takes place in October. The web site of the Jane Addams Peace Organization contains further information, including an explanation of the prizes. The following is from the site: "The Jane Addams Children's Book Awards are given annually to the children's books published the preceding year that effectively promote the cause of peace, social justice, world community, and the equality of the sexes and all races as well as meeting conventional standards for excellence."