The June-July issue of The Edge of the Forest, an online magazine about children's books, is up and ready! I have rounded up some fun links from authors' blogs for the magazine. Highlights also include the following, which I have filched directly from the Edge's editor, Kelly Herold, at her blog, Big A little a. (Thanks, Kelly!)
Kelly writes, "Because it's a double issue, it's jam-packed with features and reviews. Here's the short of it:
- An interview with Patrick McDonnell, children's book author and popular cartoonist (Mutts)
- This month's blogging writer, Susan Taylor Brown (who has a great new novel out in August) talks about the intersect between blogging and writing.
- Michael J. Ortiz, author of Swan Town: The Secret Journal of Susanna Shakespeare, writes about teaching Shakespeare to children.
- Two new booklists: Melissa Rabey recommends novels about sports for Middle Grade and Young Adult readers, while Pam Coughlan "brings on the funny" for the younger set.
- Kim Winters reviews two hot authors for the What's in Their Backpacks and A Day in the Life columns: Esmé Raji Codell and Leda Schubert
- Michele Fry considers the work of Robin McKinley in our Fantasy Review column
- Reviews in all categories—from Picture book to Young Adult.
Enjoy. The Edge of the Forest will be back August 15 with Issue No. 6."