Mid-Week Coffee Break
The Great Outdoors: Head Thataway for the Nature Carnival

Mushrooms: A Nature Digression, with Photos

As a nature-loving child, I tested the edibility of many things in our suburban yard: blades of grass, pine needles, clover, spring onions. Only a few items, like honeysuckle and wood sorrel, merited sampling more than once. One plant I never tried in situ, though, was a mushroom. Ooh, too dangerous. It might be poisonous. Well, in theory, that could change (though I am beyond my yard-eating days) because I now own the new North American Mushrooms: A Field Guide to Edible and Inedible Fungi, by Dr. Orson K. Miller and Hope H. Miller.

Img_0054Here in New England we've had a mild and somewhat rainy fall, and lots of mushroom have sprung up.  What a good project for Junior (who's 7) and me, I thought: mushroom i.d. He warmed to the idea, especially when allowed to use the new camera. (See left-hand photo. Not bad, eh? You can click on all the pics to enlarge them.) As it turns out, mushroom identification is kind of complicated. Our guide features wonderful photography,  but it's difficult to sort out some of the terminology. "Lamellae adnate, distant, white." Thank goodness there's a glossary.

But other parts of the book make for entertaining reading; each mushroom is captioned with its edible quotient from "deadly poisonous" to "poisonous, hallucinogenic" to "edible with caution" to "edibility unknown" and mImg_0062ore. This kind at right, Stereum ostrea, is rated "inedible," but then again I never even considered biting our woodpile.

Some terms you can guess the meaning of pretty easily. Mushrooms that grow in groups are called "gregarious." Those yellow ones (er, Collybia arcervata?) at the beginning of this post are gregarious. I also like the authors' comments for each entry. About the poisonous Tricholoma inamoenum, they say, "Odor strong of coal gas or tar. Taste disagreeable." Definitely one to cross off the hors-d'oeuvres  list.

Img_0070To fully i.d. a mushroom, you need to take a spore print. That's easy. You remove the mushroom's stem (or stipe, as we mycologists say) and put the cap (a.k.a, the pileus) on white bond paper, and keep it in a humid place like a Baggie overnight. The book tellsImg_0079 you exactly how to do it. The mushroom on the left, which was growing in a rotting log, makes a spore print like this, on the right.

Isn't that cool? The spore print is a deep, rich brown, as you can see. Junior and I were good at making the spore prints. We're not so good at narrowing down exactly which North American mushroom in the 584-page guide this is. It may be the edible Austroboletus betula, but may doesn't quite cut it if you're thinking of having it for dinner. Since I am the only one in my house who eats mushrooms anyway, I went with an old reliable, one easily identified by its markings.  It does not appear in North American Mushrooms, but surely it's safe to eat.




Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

That last photo made me laugh!Those are the only ones I will eat as well!
We love looking at mushrooms too, but I have never been brave enough to try to eat any wild ones. You are so right about them being difficult to ID. Yikes! Nice spore print, btw.

Thanks, Theresa! Your blog and Dawn's are great ones for inspiring nature projects. Junior and I once made the pitfall insect trap from your blog. It worked well; I think we got a couple of pill bugs, among other critters.

Thanks for sharing. We don't have many mushrooms here in NM. I think I saw one in our yard this summer. It might be neat to start a study to see if there are more around here. :)

Krisann, once we started looking, we saw more and more! Today we took a hike at a local nature preserve and noticed a few on some trees, including some really icky ones that I just had to photograph. Who knows if we'll ever get them identified...

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)