Mid-Week Coffee Break
November 29, 2006
Some fun places to visit this Wednesday morning:
- Chasing Ray, Colleen Mondor's blog, for a more extensive commentary on the new Minx comics line for girls. She speaks as a true comics fan, which is cool.
- Nextbook, for Jesse Green's article, "My Bar Mitzvah Year: The Gayish Problem." Green, a gay dad, wrote the wonderful memoir The Velveteen Father: An Unexpected Journey to Parenthood.
- Big A little a, for the 111 Cybils picture book fiction nominations. 111. Holy cannoli.
- The Cybils site, for two reviews (one a haiku) of Russell Freedman's Freedom Walkers: The Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- A Wrung Sponge, for a good critique of Julius Lester's picture book Sam and the Tigers. (I love that book. Love it.)
- Linda Sue Park's LiveJournal blog, What I'm Reading, for the entry about her stint as a National Book Award judge. Plus also, photos.
- Chekhov's Mistress, for "Another Critic Misses the Point," a reaction to Rachel Cooke's Guardian piece about book bloggers. Bud provides some more links to the continuing conversation, too. Author Gail Gauthier opines on the subject, in her usual humorous way, as well.
- Maud Newton, for her post "On Absolute Rules for Fiction Writing."
- A Fuse # 8 Production, for a recommendation of what sounds like a grand book of poetry, Thunderboom!, written by Charlotte Pomerantz and illustrated by Rob Shepperson
- Connecticut's Westport Library Teen Blog, for YA and pop-culture recs. This new teen site is by Jaina, who also blogs for The Amplified Library. Welcome!
- The Library of Congress, just because you can.
Thanks for the round-up. Just wanted to let you know that the link for the review of _Sam and the Tigers_ is incorrect - it's going to the Cybils page.
Posted by: Wendy Betts | November 29, 2006 at 06:28 PM
Wendy, thank you so much. I fixed the link. I definitely have Cybils on the mind lately!
Posted by: Susan | November 30, 2006 at 09:13 AM