Best of 2006 Recap
January 03, 2007
Looking for a book? Revised and expanded since I started it in December, a meta-list of the Best Children's Books of 2006 follows. An enormous thank-you goes to the authors and fellow children's book bloggers, especially Big A little a's Kelly Herold, who helped me put it all together. [Edited to note: updated again in March 2007.]
- ALA/YALSA Best Books for Young Adults final nominations
- Book Trust (UK books from the first half of the year)
- The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
- Caldecott Medal
- Carnegie Medal nominees (UK)
- CCBC Choices
- Charlotte Zolotow Award (picture-book text)
- Children's and Young Adult Bloggers' Literary Awards (Cybils) shortlists and winners
- Coretta Scott King Award
- Costa Children's Book Award short list (UK)
- Edgar Award nominees (mysteries)
- Geisel Award (beginning readers)
- Golden Kite Awards (Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators)
- Greenaway Medal nominees (UK)
- The Guardian (UK)
- The Horn Book
- Inside a Dog (Australia)
- Kirkus (note: PDF file)
- Miami Herald
- National Book Award/Young People's Literature finalists
- National Science Teachers Association's Outstanding Science Trade Books
- Nebula/Andre Norton award final ballot (young adult science fiction and fantasy)
- Nestlé Children's Book Prize (UK)
- Newbery Medal
- New York Daily News
- The New Yorker
- New York Public Library Recommended Reading: Children's Books 2006
- The New York Times Book Review
- Orbis Pictus Award
- Parenting Magazine
- Printz Award
- Publishers Weekly
- "Richard and Judy" (UK)
- Rocky Mountain News
- School Library Journal
- Scott O'Dell Award
- Sibert Medal
- Sydney Taylor Book Awards (note: PDF file)
- The Telegraph (UK)
- The Washington Post (novels, nonfiction, and picture books)
- "The World" radio program
Wow! Thanks, Susan. It's great having all these links in one list.
Posted by: Elaine Magliaro | January 03, 2007 at 11:39 AM
Man, that was some fine linking there. Thanks for putting it all in one place.
Posted by: MotherReader | January 03, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Thanks! Next up a Google spread sheet comparing them all. Ha. Just kidding. It was fun to put together. I had lots of help.
Posted by: Susan | January 03, 2007 at 01:24 PM
I love you.
Thank you so much for doing this!
Posted by: Liz B | January 03, 2007 at 01:36 PM
What a great list! Thanks for doing this!!!
Posted by: Franki | January 03, 2007 at 06:37 PM
Mwah, mwah. You're mighty welcome, Liz and Franki.
Posted by: Susan | January 04, 2007 at 01:26 PM
Wow! This is so impressive! Thanks for sharing it. I also liked what you said about the young adult finalists, and the bridge to the classics. I'm not creative enough to think of any bridges myself, but I enjoyed the discussion.
Posted by: Jen Robinson | January 04, 2007 at 01:53 PM
Jen, thanks. I had lots of help from various mentions on everyone's blogs. It was fun to see ALL those lists. So many!
Posted by: Susan | January 04, 2007 at 10:11 PM
A great list. May I recommend you add the Ezra Jack Keats Award?
Posted by: emily Jenkins | January 06, 2007 at 06:29 AM
Oh! also the Charlotte Zolotow Award:
Posted by: emily Jenkins | January 06, 2007 at 06:32 AM
Emily, thanks so much for the reminder of those awards. For the best of the year roundup, I'm concentrating on 2006 books. The 2006 lists for the Zolotow and the Keats actually are for books published in 2005. We will have to wait for the 2007 list. It looks like the Ezra Jack Keats is announced in May, but I will make sure of that date.
Meanwhile, I see several books on the 2006 Keats and Zolotow rosters that I'd love to read and perhaps post about. Many thanks!
Posted by: Susan | January 06, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Thanks for putting all these resources together.
Posted by: HipWriterMama | January 12, 2007 at 09:36 AM
You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by!
Posted by: Susan | January 12, 2007 at 01:05 PM
YOU ROCK. I just sent this list to a friend needing to spend $500 on children's books for her workplace. THANKS!
Posted by: jules | January 12, 2007 at 02:03 PM
Posted by: Susan | January 12, 2007 at 02:37 PM
The 2007 Charlotte Zolotow Awards (for books published in 2006) have now been posted, and I included them in this list. Thanks to Emily Jenkins for the reminder!
Posted by: Susan | January 17, 2007 at 08:43 PM
Posted by: Little Willow | January 17, 2007 at 09:13 PM
Mercy, woman, when do you sleep? This list is awesome!
Posted by: eisha | March 09, 2007 at 08:49 PM
hey, Eisha! I started this list back in December and had revised it once already. This is the third (and I hope final) incarnation.
Posted by: Susan | March 09, 2007 at 09:57 PM