http://blogs.scholastic.com/kid_lit/2009/05/nonfiction-monday-a-taste-of-asia.htmlhttp://kidslit.menashalibrary.org/2009/05/04/slither-and-crawl-eye-to-eye-with-reptiles/Nonfiction Monday takes place right here today. Many of the children's book blogs post about nonfiction for kids on Mondays, so leave a link in the comments if you're participating. I will update throughout the day.
My contribution is an older post about Bianca Lavies' Gathering of Garter Snakes; you'll likely find the photo-filled picture book in the public or school library. Lavies was once a National Geographic photographer, and her snake pics are excellent. She writes about a place in Manitoba where thousands and thousands of garter snakes spend the winter and all exit the pit at about the same time in the spring. Read the post here.
Lots of intriguing nonfiction recommendations await readers today:
1. A Day in the Salt Marsh, at In Need of Chocolate
2. Mermaid Queen, at A Fuse # 8 Production
3. In the Trees, Honeybees, at Wild About Nature
4. On the Texas Trail of Cabeza de Vaca, at Lori Calabrese Writes!
5. The Dirt on Dirt, at SimplyScience Blog
6. Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11, at The Miss Rumphius Effect
7. Mermaid Queen and The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau, at Kelly Fineman's Writing and Ruminating
8. Pavlov's Elephant, at Check It Out
9. Jackson and Bud's Bumpy Ride: America's First Cross-Country Automobile Trip, at A Patchwork of Books
10. Dino Dung, at Book Scoops
11. Beatrix Potter, at Wrapped in Foil
12. Slither and Crawl, at Kids Lit
13. Life-Size Zoo, at Picture Book of the Day
14. A Taste of Asia, at Kid Lit Kit
15. King George: What Was His Problem?, at Biblio File